Department of genetic engineering
Main lines of research are:
- studying molecular&biological and molecular&genetical mechanisms of plant cell functions with biotechnology methods;
- developing novel technologies in cell and genetic engineering;
- creating genetically modified plants with useful properties;
- developing methods of plant biodiversity conservation;
- studying genome functioning in genetically modified plants;
- investigating adaptive response of plants to biotic and abiotic stresses.
Results of international significance were obtained in plant cell engineering: biparental inheritance of cytoplasmic genes in plant somatic hybridization was proved. In biotechnology, methods of plant genetic transformation are improved; techniques of plastome transformation are elaborated as well as technologies for constructing transgenic plants with important traits. Research into chloroplast genome transformation is carried on. Transgenic plants of some agricultural species have been produced, with a view to practical breeding. A novel study area has been started – technologies of pharmacological protein production via their transient expression in plant systems. First edible plants producing recombinant vaccine antituberculousproteins were created.
In the area of plant biodiversity conservation, plant gene bank of the world flora has been created, which has won the National Scientific Asset status. http://germplasm.icbge.org.ua
Two laboratories are incorporated into Department: