Liudmyla O. Sakhno
Lead Senior Scientist
Department of Genetic Engineering
Institute of Cell Biology and Genetic Engineering (ICBGE) NAS of Ukraine
Akademika Zabolotnoho Street, 148, Kyiv 03143, Ukraine
Profile on Google Scholar
|ICBGE NAS of Ukraine||Dr.Sci.||(Major: Biotechnology)||2016||“Сreation of canola plants (Brassica napus L.) bearing heterologous genes of different origins and analysis of their tolerance to abiotic stresses”|
|ICBGE NAS of Ukraine||Ph.D||(Major: Biotechnology)||2003||«Transgenomic (Brassica napus+B.nigra) and transgenic (Orychophragmus violaceus) plants of Brassicaceae»|
Kyiv State University
|M.Sci||(Major: Plant physiology)||1984|
|Lead Senior Scientist||Dept. Genetic Engineering,
ICBGE NAS of Ukraine,
|Deputy Chair||Dept. Genetic Engineering,
ICBGE NAS of Ukraine
|Senior Scientist||Dept. Genetic Engineering,
ICBGE NAS of Ukraine
|Research Scientist||Dept. Genetic Engineering,
ICBGE NAS of Ukraine
|Assistant Research Scientist||Dept. Genetic Engineering,
ICBGE NAS of Ukraine
|Assistant Research Scientist||Dept. Cell Biology and Genetic Engineering,
Institute of Botany NAS of Ukraine
|Engineer-biologist||Central Selection and Genetics Station,
Uman (Cherkasy region)
Areas of expertise
Plant biotechnology; plant physiology; transgenic plants; heterologous gene expression; plant tolerance to abiotic and biotic stresses
- Identified transgenic canola lines with higher biomass production under normal conditions as well as in water deficit or heat stress.
- Obtained with colleagues data about physiological, biochemical, and molecular biological characteristics of transgenic canola plants.
- Obtained some groups of transgenic canola plants bearing heterologous genes of different origin such as:
- BAR gene providing plant tolerance to herbicides with phosphinotricin as acting agent;
- synthetic EPSPS gene which is responsible for plant resistance to glyphosat herbicides;
- human interferon alpha 2b gene, HuINFα2b gene;
- desaturase С gene from cyanobacterium Synocococcus vulcanus, fused in reading frame with repoter lichenase gene from Clostridium thermocellum, DesC::LicBM3 gene;
- Participated in creation of plant germplasm bank of world flora in part of obtaining in vitro cultures. This collection was included to the list of scientific objects which are considered as national scientific property by the decision of Ukrainian government.
- Developed a protocol for canola genetic transformation using leaves of aseptic plants as the explants.
- Participated in creation of plant germplasm bank of world flora in part of obtaining of in vitro cultures that was included by the decision of Ukrainian government to the list of scientific objects which are considered as national scientific property.
- Presented scientific results at seminars and meetings.
- Participated in International Conferences in Toruń (Poland), Radzikow (Poland), Łódź (Poland), Krakow (Poland), Moscow (Russia), Yalta (Ukraine), Kyiv (Ukraine).
- Vavilov Society of Geneticists and Breeders of Ukraine
- Ukrainian Society for Cell Biology
- Obtaining of genetically changed canola plants with increased productivity, herbicide tolerance, and changed fatty acid oil composition as a raw material for biodiesel production (2007-2009)
- Biotechnological canola lines with productivity increment due to heterologous gene expression as a raw material for biofuel production (2010-2012)
- Production of edible and forage plants expressing proteins with anti-tuberculosis and antiviral properties (2011-2012)
- Studying on the mechanisms of the higher plant abiotic stress resistance due to heterologous expression of cyanobacteria genes (2008-2009)
- Molecular design of system for heterologous expression of proteins using thermostable lichenase of Clostridium thermocellum as a reporter and carrier (2011-2012)
- Development of new generation bioengineer platform for highly effective expression of pharmaceutical protein genes in plants and edible vaccine production (2010-2014)
- Studying on the physiological function of different substrate specificity desaturase genes in plants under normal and abiotic stress conditions (2010-2014)
- Sakhno L.O., Lystvan K.V., Belokurova V.B., Kuchuk M.V. Antioxidant activity in transgenic canola (Brassica napus L.) plants grown in vitro. In: Rapeseed: Chemical Composition, Production and Health Benefit (Monica White (editor)): Nova Science Publishers, Inc., 2016. – Р.133-152. https://www.novapublishers.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=56645&osCsid=6b89e62952808f8c8b1958f407e5312a
- Gerasymenko I.M., Sakhno L.O., Kyrpa T.М., Ostapchuk A.N., Khadjiev T.A., Goldenkova-Pavlova I.V., Sheludko Y.V. (2015) Characterization of Nicotiana tabacum plants expressing hybrid genes of cyanobacterial Δ9 or Δ12 acyl–lipid desaturases and thermostable lichenase // Rus. J. Plant Physiol. 62(3): 283-291
- Slyvets M., Sakhno L. (2014) Human interferon alpha 2b positively affects сanola growth in both aseptic non-stressed and water deficit conditions // International Journal of Biosciences and Nanosciences. 1 (5):104-118.
- Sakhno L.O., Slyvets M.S., Kuchuk M.V. (2014) cyp11A1 canola plants under heat stress conditions// Tsitol Genet. 48 (5): 11-17.
- Sakhno L. (2014) Interferon application causes сanola seedling biomass increase // The Journal of Microbiology, Biotechnology and Food Science (JMBFS). 3(6):436-439.
- Sakhno L.O., Slyvets M.S. (2014) Superoxide dismutase activity in transgenic canola // Tsitol Genet. 48(3): 12-17.
- Sakhno L.O., Slyvets M.S., Korol N.A., Karbovska N.V., Ostapchuk A.M., Sheludko Y.V., Kuchuk M.V. (2014) Changes in fatty acid composition of leaf lipids in canola biotech plants under short-time heat stress // Journal of Stress Physiology & Biochemistry (JSPB). 10(2): 24-34.
- Sakhno L.O. (2013) Plant biomass increase: recent advances in genetic engineering // Biopolym. Cell. 29 (6): 443-453.
- Sakhno L.O., Slyvets M.S., Sheludko Y.V. (2013) Expression of cyanobacterium desC transgene does not change canola plant cold resistance // The Bulletin of Vavilov Society of Geneticists and Breeders of Ukraine. 11(2): 267–275.
- Shcherbak N., Kishchenko O., Sakhno L., Komarnytsky I., Kuchuk M. (2013) Lox-dependent gene expression in transgenic plants obtained via Agrobacterium-mediated transformation // Tsitol Genet. 47(3): 21-32.
- Sakhno L.O., Gerasymenko I.M., Komarnitsskii I.K., Sheludko Y.V., Goldenkova-Pavlova I.V. (2012) Creation of glyphosate-resistant Brassica napus L. plants expressing DesC desaturase of cyanobacterium Synechococcus vulcanus Biopolym. Cell. 28(6): 449–455.
- Sakhno L.O., Ostapchuk A.M., Klochko V.V., Kuchuk M.V. (2012) Fatty acid oil composition of canola plants carrying cytochrome P450SCC cyp11A1 transgene // Biotechnologia acta. 5(5): 27-33.
- Sakhno L.O., Kvasko O.Y., Olevinska Z.M., Spivak M.Y., Kuchuk M.V. (2012) Creation of transgenic Brassica napus L. plants expressing human alpha 2b interferon gene // Tsitol Genet. 46 (6): 12-18.
- Gerasymenko I.M., Sakhno L.O., Mazur M.G., Sheludko Y.V. (2012) Multiplex PCR assay for detection of human interferon alpha2b gene in transgenic plants// Tsitol Genet. 46 (4): 3-8.
- Sakhno L.O., Ostapchuk A.M., Klochko V.V., Kuchuk M.V. (2011) Fatty acid oil composition of canola plants expressing mammalian cytochrome P450SCC cyp11A1 gene // Advances in research and technology of rapeseed oil. Monograph – part III. Editor-in-Chief Edward Szłyk. - Wydawnictwo Naukowe Uniwersytetu Mikołaja Kopernika, Toruń. – P. 55-59.
- Sakhno L.O. (2011) Seed germination features of canola plants expressing mammalian cytochrome P450SCC cyp11A1 gene. The Bulletin of Vavilov Society of Geneticists and Breeders of Ukraine 9(2): 253–259.
- Sakhno L.О. (2010) Fatty acid composition variability of rapeseed oil: classical breeding and biotechnology // Tsitol Genet. 44 (6): 70-80.
- Sakhno LO, Моrgun BV, Кvasko OY, Кuchuk MV (2010) Transformed canola plants expressing mammalian cyp11A1 gene of cytochrome P450SCC. Biotechnol Acta 3(5): 74–82.
- Sakhno L.A. (2010) Transgenic cruciferous plants as producents of long chain unsaturated fatty acids// Biotechnologia acta. 3(2): 9-18.
- Gerasymenko I.M., Sakhno L.O., Golovach I.S., Kishchenko O.M., Sindarovska Y.R., Shimshilashvili C.R., Sheludko Y.V., Goldenkova-Pavlova I.V. (2010) Raise of plants possessing genes for acyl-lipid desaturases from the cyanobacteria / VOGIS Herald. 14(1):127-133.
- Sakhno L.A., Gocheva E.A., Komarnitsky I.K., Kuchuk N.V. (2008) Stable expression of promoterless bar gene in transgenic rape plants // Tsitol Genet. 42(1): 21-28.
- Sakhno L.A., Komarnitsky I.K., Cherep N.N., Kuchuk N.V. (2007) Phosphinothricin-resistant somatic hybrids Brassica napus+Orychophragmus violaceus // Tsitol Genet. 41(1): 3-8.
- Vasilenko MY, Komarnitskii IK, Sakhno LA, Gleba YY, Kuchuk NV. (2003) Production and analysis of intergeneric somatic hybrids between Brassica napus and the albino-type line of Orychophragmus violaceus // Tsitol Genet. 37(1): 3-10.
- Sakhno L.A., Sytnik E.S., Komarnitskiy I.K., Kuchuk N.V., Klimyuk V.I. (2002) Activity of the maize Spm transposon system in transgenic Orychophragmus violaceus (L.) O.E.Schulz. plants obtained by both direct transfer of DNA to protoplasts and agrobacterial transformation of root explants // Tsitol Genet. 36(6): 3-8.
- Sakhno L.A., Skarzhinskaya M.V. (1990) Plant regeneration from isolated protoplasts of Brassica // Rus. J. Plant Physiol. 37: 187-192.
H-index: 6 (Google Scholar, self-citation excluded)
Gave presentations at the following scientific meetings and symposiums:
|2013||Poster session||6th Conference of the PSEPB. September 16-19, Łódź, Poland||Sakhno L., Slyvets M., Korol N., Karbovska N., Ostapchuk A., Kuchuk M. Short-term heat stress effects on a cyp11A1 canola plants.|
|2013||Poster session||5th Central European Congress of Life Sciences Eurobiotech 2013. Leading area: White and Green Biotechnology. 8-11 October, Krakow, Poland.||Slyvets M.S., Sakhno L.O., Sheludko Y.V. DesC desaturase of cyanobacterium Synechococcus vulcanus expression in canola plants does not improve the low positive temperature growth.|
|2012||Poster session||International Symposium on Cell Biology jointly with 3rd Ukrainian Congress for Cell Biology. May 16-20, Resort Livadiya, Yalta.||Trehub M.S., Sakhno L.O. Superoxide dismutase activity in leaves of rapeseed expressing cytochrome P450SCC CYP11A1 gene under osmotic stress conditions.|
|2012||Poster session||International Conference “Biotechnology and Plant Breeding. Perspective Towards Food Security and Sustainability”. Radzikow, Poland. September 10-12.||Trehub M.S., Sakhno L.O. Transgenic Brassica napus plants expressing cytochrome Р450SCC cyp11A1 gene under in vitro osmotic stress conditions.|
|2011||Speaker||International Scientific Conference “Recent Advances In Plant Genetic Engineering”. May 30 – June 1, Kyiv.||Sakhno L.O. Seed germination features of canola plants expressing mammalian cytochrome P450SCC cyp11A1 gene.|
|2011||Poster session||10th International Conference on Research and Technology “Rapeseed oil in European modern economy”. Toruń, Poland. October 5-8.||Sakhno L.O., Ostapchuk A.M., Klochko V.V., Kuchuk M.V. Fatty acid oil composition of canola plants expressing mammalian cytochrome P450SCC cyp11A1 gene.|
|2010||Poster session||Ukrainian-German Symposium on Physics and Chemistry of Nanostructures and on Nanobiotechnology. September 6-10, Beregove, The Crimea, Ukraine.||Matvieieva N.A., Sakhno L.A., Rudas V.A., Shakchovsky A.M., Spivak M.J., Kuchuk M.V. Edible vaccines produced by transgenic chicory, canola and tomato.|
|2009||Poster session||V Congress of Vavilov Society of Geneticists and Breeders. June 21-28, Moscow.||Gerasymenko I.M., Golovach I.S., Kishchenko O.M., Sakhno L.O., Sindarovska Y.R., Sheludko Y.V., Goldenkova-Pavlova I.V. Obtaining and analyzing of transgenic plants bearing ∆9 and ∆12 desaturase genes from cyanobacteria.|
Students, and Visiting Scientists
Supervised and trained junior students (5) and junior scientists (2).