Address: Institute of Cell Biology and Genetic Engineering of Ukrainian National Academy of Sciences, Acad. Zabolotnogo str., 148, Kyiv, UKRAINE, 03143
TEL.: (+ 038044) 257-82-44
FAX: (+38044) 258-10-50
Gene engineering, fast-growing trees, genetic transformation of plants, Populus sp., plants in vitro cultivation, stress tolerance, mutagenesis, cytogenetics, biotesting, antimutagenesis, environmental mutagenesis, ageing
2005 – PhD (Biology, Radiobiology) degree obtaining
2000 – 2003 PhD Studentship. Institute of Cell Biology and Genetic Engineering of Ukrainian National Academy of Science
1991 - 1997 Kyiv State University, Faculty of Biology, M.Sc. in Genetics
2003 - present – Institute of Cell Biology and Genetic Engineering of Ukrainian National Academy of Sciences, Department of Biophysics and Radiobiology, Kyiv - Junior Scientific Researcher, Scientific Researcher
2005 – 2009 – National Agriculture University, Department of Molecular Genetics and Biosafety, Kyiv - Assistant of Professor, Associated Professor
1997 – 2000 – Ukrainian Scientific Center of Medical Genetics Ukrainian Academy of Medical Sciences, Department of Mutagenesis and Antimutagenesis, Kyiv - Junior Scientific Researcher
Plants in vitro cultivation, plant transformation, bacterial cloning, DNA isolation, PCR, plant cytogenetic assays, Tradescantia-SH assay, microscope technique, computer skills
Full courses of lectures in Genetics and Applied Genetics with Principles of Cytology at National Agriculture University of Ukraine. Supervisor of students’ Bachelor and Master Diplomas
- Comet-assay studying, Dr. Tomáš Gichner, Institute of Experimental Botany, Academy of Sciences of Czech Republic, Prague, May, 2007
- Training course "Molecular Aspects of Salt and Drought Tolerance in Crops (plants)", Genetic Engineering Research Center (GERC), Faculty of Agriculture, Cairo University, Egypt, September, 2007
- CIMO Winter School “Regulatory Systems: From Basic Research to Disease Prevention”, Finland, April, 2008. (Supported by CIMO travel grant)
- Short-training on tree breeding and the tolerance of trees against stresses, Dr. Pertti Pulkkinen, Finnish Forest Research Institute, METLA's Haapastensyrjä Breeding Station, Finland, April, 2008
- Training on “Generation of transgenic plants and verification of their transgenic nature”, Dr. Jana Libantova, Institute of Plant Genetics and Biotechnology, Nitra, Slovak Republic, April – August, 2009 (Supported by grant of National Scholarship Program of the Slovak Republic for the support of Mobility of students, PhD students, university teachers and researchers)
- NATO Advanced Training Course on “Rapid Diagnosis in Population at Emergency and Risk “RADIPER”. Krakow-Zakopane, Poland, 19-23 October, 2009 (Supported by NATO travel grant)
- Training on “Establishing the protocol for Drosera transformation. Verification of putative transgenic plants of Populus transformed by AV04 gene construct”, Dr. Jana Libantova, Institute of Plant Genetics and Biotechnology, Nitra, Slovak Republic, 1 April – 31 August, 2011 (Supported by grant of National Scholarship Program of the Slovak Republic for the support of mobility of students, PhD students, university teachers and researchers)
- Fulbright Visiting Scholar, project ”Advancing the methods for planting and creating new clones of poplars for short-rotation forests”, Prof. Jose Shibu, Center for Agroforestry, University of Missouri, Columbia, USA, 4 February – 3 November 2013
|2006 –||Award of Kiev city administration for young scientists|
|2009 -||A Prize of the Parliament of Ukraine for the young researchers for scientific excellence|
- Ukrainian Biochemical Society
- Ukrainian Society of Geneticists and Breeders
- Radiobiological Society of Ukraine
- Kutsokon N.K., Jose S., Holzmueller E. A Global Analysis of Temperature Effects on Populus Plantation Production Potential // American Journal of Plant Sciences. - 2015. - 6(1). - 23-33. []
- Kutsokon N., Libantova J., Rudas V., Rashydov N., Grodzinsky D., Ďurechová D. (2013) Advancing protocols for poplar in vitro propagation, regeneration and selection of transformants // Journal of Microbiology, Biotechnology and Food Sciences. V.2 (Special issue). pp. 1447-1454.[]
- Kutsokon N. K. (2011) Main Trends in the genetic transformation of Populus species // Cytology and Genetics , Allerton Press, Inc. 45(6), pp. 352–361. (In English).[]
- Kutsokon N.K. (2011) Main Trends in Genetic Transformation of Populus Cytology and Genetics, N6. P. 67-78. (In Ukrainian)
- Kolodyazhnaya Y.S., Kutsokon N.K., Levenko B.O. Syutikova O.S., Rakhmetov D.B., Kochetov A.V. (2009) Transgenic plants, tolerant to abiotic stresses. Cytology and Genetics, 43(2): 72-O3.[]
- Kutsokon N.K. (2008) Allium -assay in evaluation of drinking and surface water mutagenicity. In: Dangerous Pollutants (Xenobiotics) in Urban Water Cycle. Eds. Hlavinek, P.; Bonacci, O.; Marsalek, J.; Mahrikova, I. Springer, 81-87.[]
- Kutsokon N.K., Rashydov N.M., Grodzinsky D.M. (2008) Radiation induction of multiaberrant cells in Allium cepa L. Proceedings of International Conference on Radioecology and Environmental Radioactivity, Norway, Bergen, 15-20 June, 271-277.
- Rashydov N.M., Berezhna V.V., Kutsokon N.K. (2007) Evaluation of water and soil genotoxicity with bioassays in sites contaminated with radionuclides. In: Proceedings of MEDA WATER International Conference, Sustainable Water Management. Tunis, 21-24 March, 307-312.
- Rashydov N.M., Berezhna V.V., Kutsokon N.K. (2007) Risk assessment of wastewater contaminated with radionuclides using Arabidopsis thaliana L. plants. In: Wastewater Reuse Risk Assessment, Decision-making and Environmental Security NATO Advanced Research Workshop on Wastewater Reuse (2006: Istanbul, Turkey) Ed. Mohammed K. Zaidi. Springer, 121-130.
- Kutsokon N.K., Lazarenko L.M., Bezrukov V.F., Rashydov N.M., Grodzynsky D.M. (2004) The number of aberrations in cells as a parameter of chromosomal instability. 2. Comparative analysis of effects induced by different mutagenes. Cytology and Genetics 38(1): 49-56.
- Kutsokon N., Rashidov N., Berezhna V., Grodzinsky D.M. (2004) Biotesting of radiation pollutions genotoxicity with the plants bioassays. In: Radiation safety problems in the Caspian region. Kluwer Academic Publishers. 51-56.
- Kutsokon N.K., Bezrukov V.F., Lazarenko L.M., Rashydov N.M., Grodzynsky D.M. (2003) The number of aberrations in aberrant cells as a parameter of chromosomal instability. 1. Characterization of dose dependency. Cytology and Genetics 37(4): 17-23.
Ukrainian and Russian
- Kutsokon N.K. (2010) Plant biotests for evaluation of genotoxicity. Visnyk NASU 4:48 – 52.
- Kutsokon N.K., Rashydov N.M. (2008) Effects of chronic irradiation of plants induced by technogenic radionuclides. Radiobiological effects of chronic irradiation in plants in Chornobyl accident zone. Ed. D.M. Grodzinsky. Kyiv: Naukova Dumka, NAS Ukraine, 70 – 126.
- Grodzinsky D.M., Shylina Y.V., Kutsokon N.K., Mikheev O.M., Gushcha M.I., Kolomiyets O.D., Falinska T.P., Ovsyannikova L.G., Kutlakhmedov Y.O., Pchelovska S.V. (2006) Using the plant bioassays in evaluation of combined effects of different factors: Recommendations for evaluation of permissible radionuclide and chemical pollution levels under combined action. Kyiv: Phytosociocenter.
- Rashydov N.M., Kutsokon N.K. (2005) Target and non-target radiobiological reactions – its threshold and non-threshold effects. Problems of nuclear power plants safety and of Chornobyl 3(2): 42–49.
- Kutsokon N.K., Neumerzhitska L.V., Kuznetsova G.M., Baryliak I.R. (2003) Effects of folic acid on level of spontaneous and induced by thioTEPA chromosome instability in Allium cepa cells. Problems of Ecological and Medical Genetics and Clinical Immunology 3 (49): 76–88.
- Kutsokon N.K., Rashidov N.M., Grodzinskii D.M. (2002) Cytogenetic effects of 241Аm in the Allium-test. Radiats Biol Radioecol 42(6): 675-677.
- Kutsokon N. K., Grodzinsky D. M., Rashidov N. M., Trishin V.V. (2002) Evaluation of 241Аm genotoxicity in test-system of Allium cepa L. seedlings root tip cells. Scientific Papers of the Institute for nuclear research 17(1): 139-146.
- Barilyak I.R., Neumerzhitska L.V., Kutsokon N.K. (2001) Ecogenetics evaluation of recreation zones in Kyiv. Hygiene of populated sites 38(1): 97–100.
- Kutsokon N.K., Neumerzhitska L.V., Barilyak I.R. (2001) Cytogenetic effect of thioTEPA in Allium cepa L. root tip cells. Problems of Ecological and Medical Genetics and Clinical Immunology 5(37): 36-40.
- Kutsokon N.K., Neumerzhitska L.V., Barilyak I.R. (1999) Assessment of the genotoxicity of water samples taken from reservoirs in Kiev. Problems of Ecological and Medical Genetics and Clinical Immunology 2(22): 13-18.
- Kutsokon N.K., Lazarenko L.M., Bezrukov V.F. (1999) Evaluation of mutagenic activity of water from pipelines and reservoirs of Kyiv. Bulletin of Kiyv University. Biology 29: 28-30.
- Patent № 58505, Ukraine. Approch for microclonal propagation the plants of Populus genus / Grodzinsky D., Rashydov N.M., Kutsokon N.K, Gushcha M.I., Shylina Y.V., Volosyanchuk R.T., Tkach V.P., Zolotykh I.V., Vysotska N.Y., Raksha-Slusareva О.А., Krul V.О. Registered 11.04.2011. Bull. №7, 2011. 3 p.
- Ukrainian-Slovak joint research project “The influence of the overexpression of сinnamyl alcohol dehydrogenase gene in transgenic poplar on the process of lignification” (2011-2013)
- Developing the gene engineering approaches for creating high productive poplar clones for biofuel production (2010-2012)
- Microclonal propagation and genetic transformation of Populus sp. for improving the abiotic stress tolerance (2007-2009)